This recipe is raw, dehydrated and a satisfying bread substitute.
The aroma wafting through the house as these are ‘uncooking’ is incredible. Its the rich tamari seasoning and the pungent onions that catch my attention and demand taste tests ASAP!
This recipe is incredibly simple in terms of ingredients, as long as you have a dehydrator. Do not attempt in the oven!! It takes A LOT of time..24 hrs, then another 12 hours after flipping..so it pays to fill your dehydrator up with double or triple batches to make the most of the time. Or..if you have a new Sedona (like me ;), then you can use your seperator tray to operate the top or bottom half only.
3 large yellow onions
3/4 cup flax seeds, unsoaked, ground
3/4 cup sunflower seeds, unsoaked, ground
1/4 cup wheat free tamari
1/3 cup olive oil
1. Peel onions, slice finely using a mandoline.
2. Place onions in a bowl, add remaining ingredients. Mix well to combine. Take 1/4 of mixture and blend to a smooth batter. Mix this back into the remaining mixture.
3. Spread 1.5 cups of mixture evenly onto a teflex lined dehydrator sheet. Repeat until all mixture is used.
4. Dehydrate at 41C or 105F for 24 hours.
5. Flip and peel off teflex sheet. Dehydrate for another 12 hours or until its reached the texture you prefer. I like mine still moist and tender. Next time I’ll use a little less tamari and oil as the tamari is quite overpowering and I want the onions to be the king of this recipe.
I cut mine into pieces, wrapped in parchment paper and froze it. I eat it by itself as its so tasty..or you can serve alongside a salad or with guacamole or hummus.